Protecting Public Health and the Environment.

Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facilities in Idaho

A Treatment, Storage and Disposal (TSD) facility treats, stores, or disposes of hazardous waste.

  • A treatment facility chemically or physically treats hazardous waste to make it less hazardous.
  • A storage facility stores large amounts of hazardous waste which may be produced on or off-site or elsewhere.
  • A disposal facility provides permanent containment or destruction of waste materials. Landfills and incinerators are examples of disposal facilities.

TSD Permitting Requirements

Idaho's Hazardous Waste Management Act of 1983 (HWMA) requires owners and/or operators of TSDs to obtain a permit before treating, storing or disposing of hazardous waste to ensure that hazardous wastes are managed safely. The permit requirement applies whether the facility is treating, storing or disposing hazardous waste generated by the business itself or generated by someone else and sent to the facility.

The permit for a TSD facility (1) identifies the location of the facility and the type and amount of hazardous wastes that will be treated, stored, or disposed at the facility, and (2) describes how the facility will treat, store, or dispose of the waste, and what measures the facility will take to ensure that the waste is managed safely. The permit includes several conditions and limits on how the facility can operate. For instance, the permit requires the TSD to obtain insurance and post a bond and to monitor the ground water around the facility to ensure that pollution is not escaping from the facility.

The HWMA hazardous waste permit application consists of two parts.

  • Part A is comprised of EPA Form 8700-23, along with maps, drawings, and photographs, as required by 40 CFR 270.13. Both new and existing facilities that treat, store, or dispose of regulated hazardous waste are required to submit a Part A permit application. The form defines the processes to be used for treatment, storage, and disposal of hazardous wastes; the design capacity of such processes; and specific hazardous wastes to be handled at the facility. This form is also used to submit ownership and other changes.
  • Part B of the HWMA hazardous waste permit application requires detailed, site-specific information such as geologic, hydrologic, and engineering data. There is no form for the Part B Permit Application; rather, it must be submitted in narrative form and contain the information described in applicable sections of 40 CFR 270.14 through 270.27.

Submit permit applications to:

Natalie Creed
DEQ State Office
Waste Management and Remediation Division
1410 N. Hilton
Boise, ID 83706

Siting Requirements for New TSDs

Under Idaho's Hazardous Waste Facility Siting Act, owners and operators of prospective TSDs are required to obtain a siting license demonstrating that the facility complies with the state's hazardous waste management plan. DEQ is the state agency authorized by this law and the Idaho Hazardous Waste Facility Siting Fee Rules (IDAPA to process the siting license application and to charge a fee of up to $7,500 for processing the siting license application. Throughout the licensing process, DEQ provides opportunities for public input on the application.

Hazardous Waste Shipping Requirements

The HWMA requires owners and/or operators of TSDs to obtain an EPA Identification Number. This number is used in to track quantities, types, and movement of hazardous wastes.

Anytime a hazardous waste is moved off-site, a manifest is required to accompany the waste. The manifest is designed to track waste from the time it leaves the generator until it arrives at a permitted hazardous waste treatment, storage, or disposal facility. The manifest allows waste generators to verify that wastes have been properly delivered and that no waste has been lost or unaccounted for in the process.

Reporting Requirements

Large and small quantity generators are required to report annually to DEQ on the types and quantities of hazardous waste generated and how or where the hazardous waste was stored, treated, or disposed.

In addition, TSDs and large quantity generators are required to report biennially to EPA on the quantities and types of hazardous waste generated and how it was managed (treated, stored or disposed).

Staff Contacts

Hazardous Waste Permit Supervisor
Brian English
DEQ State Office
Waste Management & Remediation Division
1410 N. Hilton
Boise, ID 83706
(208) 373-0425

More Information

Hazardous Waste Manifest System

Related Pages

How to Determine Your Generator Status

How to Obtain an EPA Identification Number

Solid Waste in Idaho